Suggestions for at home work - career

• Hello everyone,

I know this is CLAN DISCUSSION but there is no General section.

After certain events, I believe I need to find another line of work asap. No, I am not fired but seriously want to quit. I won't go into all the details.

I have been in customer service for over 20 years now. I have strong computer skills. Typing is fast like around 120 words per min. I would prefer to get out of the "full time" customer service and do something else. Something I could do from Home is ideal but I do not mind office work or manual labor.

I understand that I am in Houston, TX and many of you are not. But any company suggestions to check out would be helpful. I would have to get clean for any drug tests and I have a couple misdemeanors on my record.

Thank you.

• Hey man, I am a bit too young to help all the much. However, I hope you find something that will give you a bit more fulfillment in your life. I would talk to Tommy he has been looking for a new job the last few months. Again best of luck!

• I will say, from my experience, most work at home jobs are full time customer service/call center jobs, especially at the entry level. Don't say that to discourage you but just to be real. For me I do have one of those nice office jobs that I am currently working from home with very little "customer" interaction, and I got it by busting my ass for 2 years in a hospital kitchen waiting for a spot to come open. Internal transfers at most hospitals will always have priority over external.

• I will say, from my experience, most work at home jobs are full time customer service/call center jobs, especially at the entry level. Don't say that to discourage you but just to be real. For me I do have one of those nice office jobs that I am currently working from home with very little "customer" interaction, and I got it by busting my ass for 2 years in a hospital kitchen waiting for a spot to come open. Internal transfers at most hospitals will always have priority over external.

Customer service has been my skill set ... Would like to get away from it, but if thats my curse then I must bare it.

Only say "at home" due to this virus. Im fine with going to an office or manual labor at this point

• As a start. Go to Upwork.

Put on a suit, take a spiffy photo of yourself cleaned up really nice.

Next, make your Upwork account. Carefully craft it with your credentials. If you can get any testimonials on there, that's really helpful.

Next, set aside $200 to fund your upwork points. Keep the points filled and spend your extra time filling out proposals. Be sure to post about their specific needs so they know you read their job post.

Upwork IS NOT the best way to make a living. But it is a GREAT way to network. Some of my very best retainer clients were from Upwork.

You can make some decent money just writing blog articles or helping with content managment. But the key here is to find a client who wants CONTINUOUS work. The one off clients usually suck. You want something sustainable. So find someone who needs daily or weekly blog articles etc.

When you get a client like that, you develop a relationship and they become a retainer client, and you get them off Upwork : ) Boom, now you have sustainable income that goes wherever you go! Freelancing is so underrated...

Other ideas:

-Flipping stuff on facebook marketplace and ebay. You can find cheap stuff on fb marketplace, then flip it on eBay. Or you can find extra stuff you have and flip it.

-ppc advertising. Learn about it and if you have to hire people to help you so that you can provide PPC thats fine. The client is so happy with PPC because they make so much profit that they will pay you a healthy management fee, even if you are delegating its usually worth. eCommerce and PPC are increasing during all this crap.

-learn how to day trade either with options or with crypto or forex or whatever suits you. Remove risk by setting stop losses and following a strict strategy. With a good strategy you will have a 70-90% win rate on all trades

-webcam model. Spread those butt cheeks smoke do what you were made for